Monday, February 25, 2013

Palet Ottoman tutorial

Pin It
A couple of months ago I snatched onto a great rectagle palet from work. I was beautiful! The wood looked great but more importantly the top was almost solid. I knew right away it would be the perfect project. I had decided it would become an ottoman.
Now my problem was finding the right fabric and getting the foam. Thankfully both were on sale this last weekend at JoAnn's. So my Presidents day was spent buidling my new ottoman. It turned out fantastic. I really like it but my boys love it- all 5 of them! ;-)
There are several tutorials on Pinterest. Here is what I did.

Step 1: I used spray insulatin foam around the edges. I didn't want to feel the wood pressing through the edges of the foam. The insulation foam said it would take 8 hrs to set but it was good to go after just a couple of hours. I was really glad. I didn't know how long my boys would resist the temptation to play on it again. It was too cold to put outside.
Step 2: After the insulating foam came the batting. I just used some remnant batting to put over the top and around the edges. Then I placed the camping foam on top of that. One side note: I bought a foam pad by the yard at Joann's but it is much cheaper to use a mattress foam pad. Yeah, a DUH! moment.
Step 3: turn the palet upside down on your fabric.
Step 4: Stretch the fabric tight and staple it to the bottom.
Work all the way around. For each side I started in the middle and worked my way out.
Step 5: I used some left over canvas to finish off the bottom. I love the clean underside.
See, so much better than the rough edges of wood and fabric.
Step 6: Add the plates for the feet. Home depot to the rescue.
Step 7: Screw on your feet. I haven't done anything to finish mine yet. I couldn't decide how to finish them or whether to just leave them natural....
Step 8: sit back and enjoy your new furniture! My boys love this new addition.
I think decided to paint the feet red. What do you think?
Pin It

1 comment:

  1. Red would be gorgeous! What a great "work" find. The best thing I have found at work was some toe tags. Since I don't do Halloween, I just left them - lol.

    Cheri

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. Let me know what you think. I love to hear your thoughts and feelings so go ahead INSPIRE ME!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails