Monday, February 3, 2014

Pinewood Derby

Pin It
Project 6 of 52
We had a wonderful Pinewood Derby this year. I used Disney's Cars as our theme. We talked about positive attitude and the difference you can have. 
Once again we had Pit passes. You can find the download for them here.
For concessions we had safety cones.... (bugles)
Spare tires....(donuts)
And running boards....(waffer cookies)
I printed the signs and just laminated them. Then wrote on it with dry erase marker. That way I can use them again next year. Click on the picture for the download. 
(I don't remember where I got these but when I find out I will give proper credit)
http://www.4shared.com/photo/qEREQYUOba/invite_blank.html

My pit crew was hard at it again this year too...
My sweet hubby manned the "crew" not only during the ran but days leading up to it. We had the official scale so dads were stopping by all week to get a pre-weight check. The derby always brings out a bit of healthy competition among the dads uhm, boys. ;-p
I put a note out to my leaders to bring any spare tires or car signs they may have. Lucky for us my committee chair used to work at Goodyear. He brought some amazing signs that really set the scene.
I picked up 20 balloons to add around at each of the tables. We had a table for treats, pit crew, check in, and the medal stand.
Once the cars were checked in they had to be placed on the table. We had the boys write their name on a numbered paper plate. That made the order random, as the boys finished weighing in, and helped us to keep track of how many we had. With all the cars lined up we were able to assign the various awards. 
Aren't these cars AWESOME! I love to see what each of the boys come up with.
After the race each boy recieved a ding-dong medal and a certificate.
1st, 2nd, and 3rd place also got a trophy. 
(Can't believe I didn't get a picture of them but hey, it was a bit crazy).
The boys all had a fantastic time. Parents too. It's always a lot of work to pull the derby off but I love to watch how excited the boys get. They are so good about cheering each other on. It makes it all worth it.
Here are the Pit Passes if you want to download them.
http://www.4shared.com/photo/ZWTa_MSUce/Pit_pass_sheet_of_4.html

Have fun and good luck.
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting. Let me know what you think. I love to hear your thoughts and feelings so go ahead INSPIRE ME!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails