Thursday, June 14, 2012

Sewing 101 for boys

Pin It
I think sewing is becoming one of those lost arts. Few ladies sew or even know how to do simple stitches. Fabric is can be a bit pricey which makes sewing clothes, if you shop the sales, not much of a value. I believe however that this is still a valuable skill. I am not a great seamstress but I have managed to make several simple projects. It is always fun to look at what you have created. There is a certain sense of satisfaction that comes with creating. 

Having a house of boys doesn't change my thoughts. Boys can sew too. One day, in the not to distant future, these boys are going to venture out on missions for our church. They will not have mom around to stitch for them. One of our 100 activities of summer includes sewing a pillowcase. Pillowcases are great projects to practice on. You don't have to worry too much about measuring. You have straight stitches and only 4 lines to do. 

A couple of weeks ago I took the boys to JoAnns and took advantage of a great sale on fabric. I let them pick out coordinating pieces to make their pillowcase. I was a bit surprise by the older boys choices but hey, it's what they wanted. Part of the fun is choosing a fabric. One that is fun, colorful and defines your mood.

Today, the lessons began. I explained the very basics of the sewing machine, helped them thread the needle, and to get started stitching.
Josh made a couple of mistakes. One that led to learning how to use a seam ripper. ehehehehehe.
Total concentration to get that line straight.
In the end he was proud of his new project. Short and sweet. Keeping the project simple helped. Something about a fast reward. ;-P
Then Mr. Keegan was up. He did better than his big brother but mom hung over his shoulder more too.
He is very cautious and steady. Not too many oopses.
Scorpions on flannel. Great job huh!?!

Then came the little boys. I threw Mr. Ty's together quick and easy. I didn't have the right color thread for Mr. Matthew's though. I picked it up but didn't get back to the sewing right away. When he realized the other boys had new pillowcases but he didn't he was devastated!! I quickly told him why and offered to go right then to sew it. He loved the idea but insisted he had to help.
I don't know how much "help" he was but he sat on my lap the whole time. Thanks to Ty for the photos. ;-)
They were silly and thrilled. Ya just gotta love big grins like this.
The boy prints out now are too cute to resist.
I had to get some monster truck fabric too. 
1 yard of each.
I think I will have enough to make another pillow case with the reverse pattern, green body with print trim.
I enjoyed seeing their smiles. They all raced to get replace their pillowcases with their new creations. It made my heart smile too. Proof even boys can learn simple sewing.
It was fun, quick, and easy. Right up the alley for a group of 4growingboys!
Pin It

1 comment:

  1. That is neat!! What a great idea to do with your boys, they have a fun Mom!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. Let me know what you think. I love to hear your thoughts and feelings so go ahead INSPIRE ME!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails