Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Project 17 of 52: Pinewood Derby Time!

Pin It
In a house of boys you are destined to be involved in Cub Scouts in one way or another. Well, I have bent he Bear Den leader for almost 5 years, yeah, I know! DH was put in as the Cubmaster last summer and without an assistant I get to fill in that part by default. Well, we will be having our Pinewood Derby tomorrow night. After much struggle in getting everything set up (we ran into so many problems ugh), the cars are now weighed in, shined and polished. Graphite is in place and they are ready to go. Now for the decorations. My dear sweetheart relied on me for a big part of that. I think he had had it with all the other preparations and planning excitement. So I thought I would share what I came up with. I think it will work out rather well. DH made certificates for each boy. We will have each den racing against themselves since we have such a large pack at the moment. So here is their "trophy"...
We will have black table clothes from the Dollar store on the floor with yellow crate paper down the center, for a road. From the ceiling will hang the stop light....
Along the wall with be a these banners....

There is a banner for each boy with their name on it. These were so simple, just take large sheet of construction paper and fold in half lengthwise....
Then draw a line from corner to corner.....
I folded several together and  then cut them at the same time too. When you unfold it you have a banner....

I found the trophy cut outs at the dollar store as well. I didn't know what we would use them for but I was thinking "Piston Cup" so I grabbed them. I'm glad I did cuz the banners look great! And was race would be complete without THE Checkered flag? Yep, made a couple of them! I was going to quilt squares together (yes, I am a bit insane) then I found the checkered fabric at Walmart. I just seamed it together, flipped it right side out and did a pocket to hold the stick, then a finishing stitch around the outside. I think they turned out great. I am excited to use them tomarrow. We will be having a "Cars" themed birthday next month so it will be a great addition to that as well.
Not the best picture (DH is still learning) but it gives you the idea. What do you think? Will the boys like it? We will have refreshments set up in one corner at "Flo's V8 Cafe" and across the street will the "Quido's Pit Stop". By the way the boys cars are amazing. This is so fun even with dad's who are a bit competitive themselves ;-).  Back in February I downloaded some supplies for the "Cars" themed party but for the life of me I can't remember where. It was a scrapbook site so I will have to back track a bit. I will link it if I find it again.......

I am linking this to Fireflies and Jellybeans...

Pin It

2 comments:

  1. What fun pinewood derby decorations! I love the candy cars! Hope everything goes well!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. Let me know what you think. I love to hear your thoughts and feelings so go ahead INSPIRE ME!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails