Monday, November 8, 2010

Cafe RIo: cooking from my pantry

Pin It
I made Cafe Rio pork this week from Real Mom's Kitchen. When I made it before the boys complained of it being too hot with the Jalepeno's it is so this time I only added about 1/3 of the can. I had to have a touch of spice to it. I used the Romaine lettuce left over from Bountiful Baskets as well as the tomatoes which needed to be used up. I didn't have any spanish rice but white rice was a nice balance to the pork. I probably dished things up backwards with the pork on top instead of just after the lettuce but hey the little boys were "STARVIN' MOM!". Either way it was a hit. A couple of the boys even had seconds. I planned to have leftovers over the weekend but there won't be any....gonna have to work out something else. It's all good!
So over the weekend we had this...
Spaghetti
Stroganoff with fresh steamed green beans and banana squash

Spaghetti is a staple at our house. Dear husband is a pasta fan and could eat it any day of the week without complaint. The boys tend to follow dad's lead in this as well. When in doubt we have sketti. Plus it is quick and easy.

My favorite meal is hamburger pinwheels. It is basically browned hamburger rolled in biscuit dough like a cinnamon roll then toped with gravy or our favorite- tomatoe soup. However, this is not dear husbands meal choice. So we went with stroganoff. Now I have crockpot stroganoff planned for Monday nights meal but they are different enough and dear family said they wouldn't mind- it is a pasta dish after all....

Quick Stroganoff:
Brown hamburger
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1/2 cup sour cream

Brown your hamburger then mix in the soups and sour cream. I also added some milk this time because it seemed too thick. Serve over rice or noodles.
Once again, very few leftovers here. My 2 year old has been eating like a bird lately- crazy for a boy I know- but he had 2 servings of this. 
He even said "more, please"! This is a big feat as our little man doesn't talk and has been in speech therapy for 10 months now. It was great to hear this come out without prompting! Food is a great incentive in our house of boys!

For Sunday dinner we had:
Crock pot BBQ Spare Ribs
Mashed potatoes
Vegi of choice
fruit salad

The fruit salad was an idea I read on PYP forums about Thanksgiving dinner menu ideas. 
Pomegranits
apples 
pineapple
cool whip
mix together and enjoy
My 5 yr old loved it. We will see how everyone else enjoys it.....
 
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting. Let me know what you think. I love to hear your thoughts and feelings so go ahead INSPIRE ME!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails