Friday, November 5, 2010

Homemade bread and soup

Pin It
We were nearing the end of our bread so this time I made whole wheat bread.
If I may say so, it turned out AMAZING! Perhaps the best wheat loaf I've made yet. During the cooler months I seldom buy bread. I make about 80-90% of our bread.
Here is the recipe:
2 1/2 cups warm water
2 packages yeast
4 tablespoons butter or margarine
1 tablespoon salt
4 tablespoons sugar
6 cups flour divided
(if making 100% whole wheat you need to add a dough enhancer like gluten. I usually add 6 tbsp or so...)

Heat your oven to 200 deg. with a bowl of water in it. When it gets to 200 shut it off. Dissolve your yeast in the warm water. Mix in butter, salt, sugar and 3 cups flour. Mix for about 2 minutes until well blended. You may have to scrap the sided a couple of times. Then add the remaining 3 cups flour. Your dough will be sticky, more like muffing mix texture. Place in the warmed oven to rise. I like to rise my dough in the oven so my house doesn't have to be as warm and the cool breezes won't mess up the rising dough. Let it rise for about 30 minutes until double. Stir down, about 25 strokes. I just put my mixing bowl in the oven then turn the mixer back on for a minute. Pour dough into 2 loaf pans. It will still be sticky. Smooth evenly in pan. Place back in oven to rise a second time for 30-40 minutes until double. Then turn oven on to 350 deg and cook for 30-40 minutes. Remove bread from oven and cool on wire rack. YUMMY!
With sandwiches and toast for breakfast we go through a fair amount of bread. I don't have a Bosch bread mixer yet. It is still on my wish list but I figured it out one time and figure it would pay for itself in 1 year of use. I don't like the cheap breads and I only buy whole wheat varieties....With all this in mind I am so thankful for a friend sharing her recipe for no knead bread that doesn't work my Kitchen Aid mixer too much. With only 6 ingredients this recipe is a cinch to make!
Added it to our Chicken and wild rice soup for some yummy homemade goodness....
Just cooking from my pantry......
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting. Let me know what you think. I love to hear your thoughts and feelings so go ahead INSPIRE ME!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails