Friday, August 27, 2010

Homemade Salsa

Pin It
My coworker gave this recipe to me last year and we fell in love with it! I had a moment of panic when I couldn't find it this morning but *whew* we found it!

Homemade Salsa
5 quarts peeled and diced tomatoes (about 20-25)
5 Tbs cornstarch. Sprinkled over and mixed with cold tomatoes
2 lg bell peppers diced (1 3/4 c) or use a variety for color
3-5 cloves of chopped garlic (or 1/8 tsp dried garlic)
1/4 C. apple cider vinegar
3Tbsp salt to taste
1 Tbsp chili powder
1 Tbsp crushed red pepper seasoning
5-14 Jalapeno peppers depending on how hot you like it. Use rubber gloves when chopping. I used about 5.
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp cumin
1 Tbsp cilantro
2-3 small cans of spicy hot V-8 or about 3 cups

Combine all ingredients. Place in a large oven proof pan in the oven at 250-300 degrees. You want it to simmer for about 1 1/2 hrs. Stir occasionally. Place in hot clean jars. Pressure cook for 10 minutes at 13 pounds of pressure.

Makes about 14 pints. Beware- they will soon be gone. The recipe doesn't call for onions but I added a couple.....   

I'm sure you could use a water bath to seal the bottles too with all the acid already in the recipe you don't have to worry about high temps to kill bacteria....

I plan to get some tomatoes to make this over Labor Day weekend. I might do some fruit too. I need some more apple pie filling. Anyone have a great recipe for that? 

I have several other projects to post but haven't gotten to them yet...
T.I.M.E. is a 4 letter word ya know. 
With school back in session I am looking forward to slowing down from the crazy summer pace. So for now I am focused on finishing projects. We are starting to mud and texture Josh's room; hoping to finish it next weekend. We are going to wait on carpet until we get Keegan's room done then carpet both at the same time. Josh is so excited to get his own space again. He has been a very patient young man for which mom and dad are grateful. He is a good kid! I will post pictures when we finish. I have before and after pictures but not many in between.
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting. Let me know what you think. I love to hear your thoughts and feelings so go ahead INSPIRE ME!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails